SCRIPTED CASTING FOR LAST AT BAT
1. Dylan/Matt- Tall, athletic, mid-twenties. Dylan is handsome, a bit cocky but in a lovable sort of way. He’s Intelligent, self-deprecating and confident. After accident, Matt is more reserved, unsure of himself embarrassed by his ravaged face.
2. Cara- Twenty-five- year-old dark-haired beauty but is not just a pretty face. She’s confident, educated, and doesn’t suffer fools. She has wit and is not intimidated by Matt’s fame as a baseball star. In fact she’s never heard of him before they meet.
3. Arthur Robbins – Sixty something frumpy sports writer for the LA Times who has unlit cigar in his mouth at all times. Wears wrinkled rain coat and knows baseball better than any person on the planet. He is smart, well educated, and tough as nails. But beneath the tough veneer is a softhearted, lonely guy who is willing to sacrifice his fame by doing the right thing.
4. Doc- Is a seventy year old 5’10” black man. He is a graduate of Yale Medical School and knows everyone in Blossom, South Carolina. He is revered by everyone in town. Is gruff but gentle and has dry wit.
5. Sonny – Is a large, loud white man who claims he went to high school all proof to the contrary. He has been Doc’s best friend since their time together in Viet Nam. Sonny drives a Harley and is proud of his tattoos.
6. Gwen- Is Sonny’s sixty-something wife. She is smart, prim and puts up with Sonny because she knows he is a good man. She also keeps Sonny in line when needed. She is also rich but keeps that secret from Sonny for fear he would by a new motorcycle.
7. Annie- Is a sixty something white woman who married a black man (Doc) in South Carolina. As a result she is tough and smart and has protected Doc when she had to.
8. Bonnie- Late 30’s. She is a blonde faded beauty queen from Alabama who left town 10 years earlier to escape an abusive husband. She works in Millie’s Diner and is known as the Body of Doom by the local high school boys. Bonnie also has a degree in Psychology from Auburn, working on her Master’s and a voracious reader. She is kind, vulnerable and wise. She can also be tough when she needs to be.
9. Eric Patterson- Eric is a mid-thirties, arrogant, ruthless sportswriter out to prove he deserves to win a Pulitzer. He is thin, un-athletic and not likable.